ANTI-SEXUAL HARASSMENT POLICY
The Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) is committed to protecting women from sexual harassment at workplace by creating and maintaining the educational, working, and living environment free from sexual harassment as described in this policy. ISI’s policy prohibits such harassment and applies to everyone in the ISI community at the Headquarters in Kolkata, and all outlying Centres and Branches. Harassment of persons associated with ISI by non-ISI individuals, such as clients, contractors, vendors, etc. also come under the purview of ISI policy. No discrimination is made based on religion, caste, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, physical or mental disability.
All persons associated with ISI (Permanent and Temporary Workers, Students, Research scholars, Project linked personnel) should be aware of:
- What is sexual harassment?
- Resources available
- Process of resolving complaints
Under this Policy, sexual harassment is defined as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favours, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature like
- Unwelcome touching of a person’s body, hair or clothing;
- Unwelcome sexual jokes or comments (including favourable comments about someone’s gender, body, clothing, appearance, etc.);
- Disparaging remarks to a person about her gender or body;
- Asking about a person’s sexual fantasies or sexual activities;
- Repeatedly asking for a date after the person has said “no”;
- Implied sexual behavior, such as sexual gestures with hands or through body movements;
- Displaying sexually explicit posters or pictures;
- Electronic communications, such as phone calls, e-mails, text messaging and internet use, that violate this Policy.
The following actions will also be treated as sexual harassment under the policy:
- implied or explicit promise of preferential treatment in the victim’s employment;
- implied or explicit threat of detrimental treatment in the victim’s employment;
- implied or explicit threat about the victim’s present or future employment status;
- conduct that interferes with the victim’s work or create an intimidating or hostile work environment for her and
- humiliating treatment likely to affect the victim’s health or safety.
ISI, in its endeavor to maintain the working environment for women free of harassment, requests everyone to report incidents of sexual harassment promptly to the appropriate authority. The victim, depending on the severity of the case, can:
- Tell the person who is harassing to stop, in writing or in person.
- Talk to someone about the incident and ask for help.
- Talk to immediate higher authority (Supervisor, Departmental Head, Dean of studies, Administrative Officer, as may be appropriate)
If the matter cannot be resolved through one of the above approaches or the complainant chooses not to pursue one of the above methods, he/she may file a written complaint promptly to the Internal Complaints Committee of the Institute.
Anyone associated with ISI who believes she has been subjected to harassment may submit a written complaint to any of the members of the Internal Complaints Committee. The written complaint should identify the parties involved; describe the harassing behavior, including when and where it occurred; and identify by name or description any witnesses. Written complaints should be treated as confidential and should be provided directly and only to the appropriate designated individuals as listed above. Each complaint will be dealt with in accordance with the following:
- Confidentiality: Any allegation of discrimination or harassment brought to the attention of the Committee will be discreetly addressed. Investigations will be conducted in a confidential manner to the greatest extent possible. However, the investigation of complaints may also require disclosure to the accused individual and to other witnesses for the purpose of gathering pertinent information. In such case, disclosures will be limited to the extent possible. All participants in the process, including the person who filed the complaint, the individual accused and witnesses, will be advised to keep the matter confidential.
- Cooperation: ISI expects faculty, staff and other members of ISI to cooperate fully in the investigation process. Any faculty or staff member who is the subject of, or potential witness regarding, a harassment complaint and refuses to cooperate in an investigation is subject to disciplinary action.
- Dealing with non-ISI offender: ISI’s ability to discipline an individual who is not an employee or student (such as a vendor or contractor) is limited by the degree of control, if any, ISI has over such individual. Nonetheless, ISI will seek to take appropriate action in response to violations of this Policy to the extent possible.
Sexual harassment will be treated as a misconduct. If anyone is found guilty the institute will take a disciplinary action as per the recommendation of the Internal Complaints Committee.
- Professor Susmita Sur-Kolay (Chairperson) [Advanced Computing and Microelectronics Unit (ACMU)]: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Runu Bhattacharya (external expert)
- Dr. Sarbani Patranabis Deb [Geological Studies Unit (GSU)]: email: email@example.com
- Professor Nabanita Das [Advanced Computing and Microelectronics Unit (ACMU)] email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Prasun Das [SQC & OR Unit] email: email@example.com
- Shri D. Giri (Convener)[Personnel Unit] email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Emergency Contact Numbers :
- During Office hours: 25752501/25752251/25776927 Beyond Office hours: 9830332898 (Ladie's Hostel Warden)
For matters concerning students, a student representative will be co-opted in the committee.
- Dr. Farzana Afridi : Chairperson
- Prof. Debasis Mishra : Member
- Prof. Arup Pal : Member
- External Expert : Member
(as decided by the Committee)
- Student Representative : Member
(nominated by the Head of Centre to be co-opted for student affairs)
- Mrs. Simmi Marwah : Member-Convener
- Professor Madhura Swaminathn : Chairperson
- Professor Ruth Sarah Chandy : Member
- Student Representative : Member (nominated by the Head of Centre, in matters involving students only)
- Warden, Bangalore Centre : Member
- Ms. Ashwini N. : Member-Convener